Skip to main content

WORDS FITLY SPOKEN [SPEAKING AFFIRMING WORDS TO OUR CHILDREN]

WORDS FITLY SPOKEN [SPEAKING AFFIRMING WORDS TO OUR CHILDREN]

by Daneille Gray Snowden

Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken and in due season is like apples of gold in settings of silver."

It's been my hearts desire to share with my readers the essential need to affirm our children with words of grace dripping from our lips. With arms that are always ready to hold our child tightly. As well as eyes that peer into the windows of our children's souls, and ears to hear their hearts as they share with you. 

Many of us inherit our parenting skills from our own progenitor. A lot of what we do is what was unconsciously (seemingly) transmitted into our own motherly or fatherly character. Some of the character attributes are quite positive, others...well nicely put --- absolutely STINK! For example; yelling, reacting in anger, expectations we exude; but are not according to the godly traits God has laid out in His Word and so on. 

When we REACT to our children, most of the time it is out of frustrations; sometimes, we are just wore out physically, most have a tendency to blow up and out with words of anger. Decisions of punishment are made in an instant as our minds and spirits are in the fog of debris after the explosion of temper. To expect any good fruit from this in my opinion is fruitless in itself. We sow flesh we will reap flesh. We sow anger, we will reap more anger, as well as bitterness and resentment...a difficult lesson to be learned. [Galations 6:8 "For he who sows to his own flesh (lower nature, sensuality) will from the flesh reap decay and ruin and destruction, but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life."

Just in my life, I have observed this. Parents that have disciplined their children (greatly) in anger, punishing in anger and not in love have reaped bitterness from them as they get older. In younger children; some internalize their hurt (because simply, they do not know how to process it). As they grow older, it will come to surface. It pains me to see this when I observe a parent 'blow-up' with their children; in the Spirit I can see that child not only be mortified but have her/his heart crushed. You see, a child's number one goal is to please mommy and daddy. For both parents to say; "I am so proud of you" --yes, on a daily basis means the world to them. Yet, mom/dad; never say, "I am proud of you but....", followed by a lecture. The praise you thought you gave means nothing.

Grace is a feminine noun in the Greek, means grace, favor and kindness. Defined in the dictionary it means; pleasing, an attractive quality or endowment. Sounds lovely doesn't it! When I think of grace, my minds eye thinks of a lovely southern bell from 19th century walking and talking with such sweet grace in her movement and her words (with of course that adorable accent too). Truly though, grace is KIND, it is applied gently with the gift of favor. As we speak FAVOR to our children we are giving them many gifts. What are they? Gifts of CONFIDENCE, COMFORT, SECURITY, SATISFACTION, ACCOMPLISHMENT and we all know I could go on and on. I rather have these being poured into my child's spirit rather than anger, malice, resentment and defeat of the child's entire heart. [Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech at all times be gracious (pleasant and winsome), seasoned [as it were] with salt, [so that you may never be at a loss] to know how you ought to answer anyone (who puts a question to you)"].

May I challenge all parents; ask God to prick your hearts. Pray for a teachable spirit to hear His Spirit show you how to affirm, teach, discipline and love your children. He will pour more of His Grace into you...in turn allow it to just be a fountain filling the hearts of your children. 





Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your heart here:







[PLEASE no spamers, I ask for respect to not leave your link to a site here. TY!]

Popular posts from this blog

FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES

7 FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES Out of desperation creativity is birthed. I hope to add on to this post through the years. Churches love to give to dad's on Father's Day; sometimes this can be redundant and or expensive. A few short years ago we stepped out of the Evangelistic & Pioneer work to take a small church that is just great and out of the box. So, of course budget is minimal and I am 'it' when it comes to holiday decor and gifting ideas & doing them. The 4 gifts that my family and I put together are as follows:                       POPCORN/CANDY/MOVIE  We placed microwave popcorn, candy bar and a special Father's Day poem inside a popcorn bag.  FRAMED ART FROM LOCAL ARTIST/MINISTER  (Rev. Paul Gray)  MADE THIS INTO A FRAME & ADDED A PEN.                                             MINI GIFTS WRAPPED IN A HANKIE Pocket knife, Voice of the Martyrs Pendant  & candy! Al

LET US TRUST THE PROCESS OF PRUNING

Did you ever read this verse in John 15:2 and think, "that's extreme, can't we just hold onto these extra branches that grew once and bore amazing, fruit?" I have definitely !   Then life happens! In that life, we make a decision to dig deeper in our relationship with Jesus Christ. Yet, as we do, we face obstacles (or that's what we called them) that challenged us to trust Jesus to do what He wills in our lives.  I believe this place is a milestone in the timeline of our lives. Will we continue to walk ever so close to the Lord, realizing as we do, He will prune us? Will we desire to be producers of His fruit and life flow through us? Many of us realize that this means more obstacles, cuts, bleeding, times of dormancy and simple hurt.  This is when the milestone comes; will we accept this pruning and be fruitful or just become branches that become brittle, and ragged?  A lot of questions to ponder, but I feel God wants to use each and everyone of His children in o

Thank You For Asking

(c)Daneille Gray Snowden 2022 Today, I was deeply touched in my heart when a dear friend asked how my husband was. I did not mention it first, out of the blue; she asked about something dear to my heart. This wasn't the first time as she has  asked about different matters in my life several times. May I tell you how that made me feel? It made me feel cared for, loved and set back how someone cares intensely about me and my life. How often do you personally experience such care and interest from others? And, as I ask myself this too; how often do we reach out and ask others how they are? When people as a whole reach out in such a way, we see the creation power of God as hearts are connected to one another and a strong foundation is beginning to be built for a lasting relationship.  I love it when I hear conversations in church  or in my home when I  listen to their questions of wanting to learn of others situations, experiences, needs and even joys. The questioner is totally focused