Skip to main content

LOVIN MY MUMS!

copyright(c)2015 Daneille Gray Snowden
2015 
LOVIN MY MUMS!

I giggle as I write this, for my New Zealand friends call their mothers: Mum and I know other countries do as well. So, yes; I agree, we all should love our moms/mums!
 _____________________________________
But, this is a very short little heart felt blog about one of my favorite flowering plants; Fall Mums! They speak FALL with all their luscious colors, don't they!
_____________________________________
When my children were wee little, we lived by Amish country, where our home school group scheduled every year to visit a mum farm. Now, these mums were HUGE! I remember my first time, I just stood and stared for about 5 minutes as I felt greatly overwhelmed. But, with my excited emotions taking over my feet, quickly I got a shovel and began digging up my sweet flowers.
When I got home, we planted them in my front yard along my walking path; and faithfully they popped up every year. I believe because of the amazing Amish farmers skills, we were able to attain the best quality of fall mums one could buy; i.e. - why they came up every year. That is not suppose to be the case. In order for that to happen, mums should be planted in the spring and gently cultivated.
 _____________________________________
So, again this year my husband brought home a pot of yellow mums to add to our fall décor outside.
This year, I decided to repot them so they would grow and become hardy (and last longer).
  When we all purchase our mums from a store (not a farm like I use to); we find the poor things are 'root-bound'. The roots have no place to go, plus in my case here there is very little soil. Many folks just keep their precious plants in these disposable pots and find their plants only last a few weeks. Please, let me encourage you to RE-POT asap! Just get a pot that is a little bigger than the one it is currently in, add good healthy soil, loosen the roots and place them in. Voilà! Ya got a healthy mum that will keep you happy for several weeks to come!
Now make sure your mum gets at least 4 hours of sun each day. The brighter the color, the more sun it needs. Hey, we can take that to a personal application couldn't we? We want to not only shine bright, but be colorful and well pleasing -- then we must spend more time in the presence of the Son (of God) and feast in the soil of His Word.
 _______________________________________
Remember to water, at least 1x a week. Not over abundance, but decent. And when a bloom has died; just snip it off so more can bloom. It saves energy and causes the nutrients to reproduce and flow into more blooms.
 _________________________________________
So, this year I am going to bring my mum in after the frost. To do this, I must put it in a cool (32 - 50 degrees F), very dark place so it can hibernate. Keep the roots most (by checking on them weekly with a bit of watering). Then, I will slowly acclimate the plant back into the outdoors in the Spring (making sure there is no more freezing weather).
 _________________________________________


Like I told you earlier, I was able to winterize my mums from the Amish country. To do this means
continuous care through out the fall, spring, and summer. It can be done! Use the Old Farmer's Almanac for guidance on when and where to plant. They are awesome to give you great information about this.     
____________________________
Probably like me, you LOVE the Fall and embrace the colors, crisp mornings, changing leaves, and the yummy food delights it all brings. I sure hope ya all enjoy this season together as a family first. Create memories that will be treasured in your children and grandchildren's hearts for life. Make a scarecrow together, create fallish décor all around. Go to an apple orchard and a pumpkin patch; I treasure those days that were filled with laughter and fun.
 ____________________________


Today, we are going to put up our yearly scarecrow family, with the hay bails, pumpkins and mums. Then, make a new craft together as well.
____________________________
Send me a comment here and on facebook of your pretty mums and fall décor! Take care and C YA ON THE NET!


2011 - note we were remodeling. :)
2015 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES

7 FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES Out of desperation creativity is birthed. I hope to add on to this post through the years. Churches love to give to dad's on Father's Day; sometimes this can be redundant and or expensive. A few short years ago we stepped out of the Evangelistic & Pioneer work to take a small church that is just great and out of the box. So, of course budget is minimal and I am 'it' when it comes to holiday decor and gifting ideas & doing them. The 4 gifts that my family and I put together are as follows:                       POPCORN/CANDY/MOVIE  We placed microwave popcorn, candy bar and a special Father's Day poem inside a popcorn bag.  FRAMED ART FROM LOCAL ARTIST/MINISTER  (Rev. Paul Gray)  MADE THIS INTO A FRAME & ADDED A PEN.                                             MINI GIFTS WRAPPED IN A HANKIE Pocket knife, Voice of the Martyrs Pendant  & candy! Al

LET US TRUST THE PROCESS OF PRUNING

Did you ever read this verse in John 15:2 and think, "that's extreme, can't we just hold onto these extra branches that grew once and bore amazing, fruit?" I have definitely !   Then life happens! In that life, we make a decision to dig deeper in our relationship with Jesus Christ. Yet, as we do, we face obstacles (or that's what we called them) that challenged us to trust Jesus to do what He wills in our lives.  I believe this place is a milestone in the timeline of our lives. Will we continue to walk ever so close to the Lord, realizing as we do, He will prune us? Will we desire to be producers of His fruit and life flow through us? Many of us realize that this means more obstacles, cuts, bleeding, times of dormancy and simple hurt.  This is when the milestone comes; will we accept this pruning and be fruitful or just become branches that become brittle, and ragged?  A lot of questions to ponder, but I feel God wants to use each and everyone of His children in o

Thank You For Asking

(c)Daneille Gray Snowden 2022 Today, I was deeply touched in my heart when a dear friend asked how my husband was. I did not mention it first, out of the blue; she asked about something dear to my heart. This wasn't the first time as she has  asked about different matters in my life several times. May I tell you how that made me feel? It made me feel cared for, loved and set back how someone cares intensely about me and my life. How often do you personally experience such care and interest from others? And, as I ask myself this too; how often do we reach out and ask others how they are? When people as a whole reach out in such a way, we see the creation power of God as hearts are connected to one another and a strong foundation is beginning to be built for a lasting relationship.  I love it when I hear conversations in church  or in my home when I  listen to their questions of wanting to learn of others situations, experiences, needs and even joys. The questioner is totally focused