Skip to main content

LET US TRUST THE PROCESS OF PRUNING




Did you ever read this verse in John 15:2 and think, "that's extreme, can't we just hold onto these extra branches that grew once and bore amazing, fruit?" I have definitely!  

Then life happens! In that life, we make a decision to dig deeper in our relationship with Jesus Christ. Yet, as we do, we face obstacles (or that's what we called them) that challenged us to trust Jesus to do what He wills in our lives. 

I believe this place is a milestone in the timeline of our lives. Will we continue to walk ever so close to the Lord, realizing as we do, He will prune us? Will we desire to be producers of His fruit and life flow through us? Many of us realize that this means more obstacles, cuts, bleeding, times of dormancy and simple hurt. 


This is when the milestone comes; will we accept this pruning and be fruitful or just become branches that become brittle, and ragged? 

A lot of questions to ponder, but I feel God wants to use each and everyone of His children in our uniqueness to minister with fruits that touch the lives we are to serve. 

Jesus said; "I am the vine, you are the branches. If you remain in Me and I in you, you WILL bear MUCH fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5

When we are apart from Him, we are not allowing His life flow to pour through out our lives. We try to do everything within our own power, in our time and ways. Even Christians try to do things apart from the Lord, doing many wonderful things; but it's fruitless! Why? Because a branch cannot bear fruit without the vine. I have seen many empty lives Jesus wants to get this message to. 


Feeling the pruning myself, I decided to look into the process of pruning a grapevine as Jesus was referring to a vine and branches.

First of all, the only time to prune is when the vine is dormant. 

That is, "normal physical functions are suspended or slowed down for a period of time, if too early, will kill it." This is that time in our lives when we feel suspended, made to stop and feel alone or frustrated. Yet, still abiding in Him. I feel also, it's a time of true humility saying; "Hear I am Lord, it appears I have nothing to offer but I still surrender my ALL to You!"

This is an elongated period of time when we are searching for answers on why? Or waiting to go and do; yet, the Lord calls us to 'wait!' It's when standing still is our entire life purpose (for this period). It's foreign to our humanness, but we are feeling that transformation is developing in ways we could never expect! 



When we observe the old branches, we see the old cuts from the past. Reminding us, I have been pruned and shaped before and it all turned out productive. Our little-ole-selves may want to cry over those old cuts, remembering the pain and the wounds it left. It may have been words said, financial troubles, hurts in relationships, sickness, death and so on. Life things that happen to us all, but can be used in the Hands of Jesus as tools to prune us. 

When Christ prunes and cuts off the old branches, it makes us vulnerable by leaving an open wound. Here's the thing about the timing of Jesus; He knows exactly WHEN to prune us. Not too early or too late. 

A vine cut too early could die, and one too late could be susceptible to fungal spores that can disease the vine and eventually kill it. So, think about this, when we surrender even this part of our lives to God's perfect will and time; even here as He cuts away old parts of 'us' that...

HIS TIMING IS PERFECT! 

What is incredible is that  90% of the vine is pruned off! 

90%!!! 

I remember when I was young, graduated from Bible college; I was a 'spit-fire!' I was passionate, and head strong. I knew all I needed to get done and all God needed done! And I can almost see your face now as you are smiling, cause possibly you know where this is going! 

Well, I did proceed on in the ministry, working for the Lord; but ouch did I ever get pruned and pruned again. As I recall thinking of those old cuts, I thank God He did that! I was trying to help Him in my own strength and ways and they didn't bear HIS fruit. I would become frustrated when things didn't work like I learned in school. Well, cut - cut came the pruning shears; over and over again. I truly can say, I am a different person than I was way back then! But, better because it's more of Him and less of me. 

I read about the shaping of the branches, they call it: 'VINE BALANCE.'  They carefully align the vines, stretching forth from both sides of the head. The head being the main vine. If allowed to grow strait up or down, and off the trellis or trellis wire. It can cause strain and break. Also, not allowing proper room for growth. 

There is a balance in our life growth, being evenly weighted to stand strong throughout the storms that may come or the intense heat of the days. Balance is "physical equilibrium, even distribution of weight on each side of the vertical axis, steadiness, & to bring into harmony or proportion." I love that last definition; to bring into harmony or proportion! I want to be in harmony with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit; I want to flow in the Spirit and be pliable in the Hands of Jesus. 

When a vine is pruned, as I said, they do cut away 90% of the branches. I use to think they randomly did this - but THAT IS NOT THE CASE!

Each cut is well planned, as the vine is shaped to protect the fruit!

This is a time of renewing, a time of reshaping become a new for a new work and new fruit! 

"Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away, every branch that bears fruit; He prunes, it is so as it may bear more fruit." John 15:2

God wants to protect the fruit that brings life to others, this is our mission in life!


We must TRUST THIS PROCESS AND ALLOW THE LORD TO RESHAPE US!

When the pruner cuts, he leaves a V shape, for each branch to have 2 clusters that creates a V pattern. Every cut is carefully planned to shape, as it protects the new fruit from the heat and gives room for growth. 

This leaves more room for Jesus, it allows the Holy Spirit to flow freely and have His perfect work to be accomplished. It takes away the debris that clouds out the beautiful fruit of God's Word, Love and Spirit. The fruit is visible and can develop fully in our lives, which can bring forth abundant fruit used to in-turn; touch lives and cause a spiritual healing plus full life for them.

Lastly, we are left with the debris that has been cut away. There is a lot, but God still uses it. It can be mulched and be used as compost for the vines. Even though it was cut away and at one time used to bear fruit, God uses it as nourishment. 

I see this as God using our past to increase wisdom and knowledge! Those two alone are a 
foundation to strengthen our beliefs, and our confidence in God! I now have many years of old branches, that has composted within my spiritual DNA. All my experiences, this includes the mistakes, the victories and even souls coming to Jesus are all part of who I am today. That nourishment flows into the roots, then the roots grow deeper and deeper. A healthy vine or tree is well nourished! 

Thank God for the things He has walked us through, thank God for past fruit and the new fruit! "For all things do work together for good, for those that love God and are the called according to HIS PURPOSE!" Romans 8:28  

God is renewing His people today, I feel it! There has been a great deal of pruning going on in our lives and now, may we yield great fruit; for many who are hungry and need the Savior! 


 



Author Daneille Gray Snowden 

Minister and Missionary

Bible Teacher 

Podcast producer


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES

7 FATHER'S DAY GIFT IDEAS FOR CHURCHES Out of desperation creativity is birthed. I hope to add on to this post through the years. Churches love to give to dad's on Father's Day; sometimes this can be redundant and or expensive. A few short years ago we stepped out of the Evangelistic & Pioneer work to take a small church that is just great and out of the box. So, of course budget is minimal and I am 'it' when it comes to holiday decor and gifting ideas & doing them. The 4 gifts that my family and I put together are as follows:                       POPCORN/CANDY/MOVIE  We placed microwave popcorn, candy bar and a special Father's Day poem inside a popcorn bag.  FRAMED ART FROM LOCAL ARTIST/MINISTER  (Rev. Paul Gray)  MADE THIS INTO A FRAME & ADDED A PEN.                                             MINI GIFTS WRAPPED IN A HANKIE Pocket knife, Voice of the Martyrs Pendant  & candy! Al

Thank You For Asking

(c)Daneille Gray Snowden 2022 Today, I was deeply touched in my heart when a dear friend asked how my husband was. I did not mention it first, out of the blue; she asked about something dear to my heart. This wasn't the first time as she has  asked about different matters in my life several times. May I tell you how that made me feel? It made me feel cared for, loved and set back how someone cares intensely about me and my life. How often do you personally experience such care and interest from others? And, as I ask myself this too; how often do we reach out and ask others how they are? When people as a whole reach out in such a way, we see the creation power of God as hearts are connected to one another and a strong foundation is beginning to be built for a lasting relationship.  I love it when I hear conversations in church  or in my home when I  listen to their questions of wanting to learn of others situations, experiences, needs and even joys. The questioner is totally focused